Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Big Beginning...

As my photography turned from a casual interest into a serious passion, I found myself turning my lens skyward more and more.  My previous blog, a 365 project called Photology, was challenging and extremely rewarding but this project I intend to continue until my eyes fail and I can no longer look through an eyepiece.  Yes, waterfalls are still beautiful and macro shots of flowers still appeal but the grand scale of the ever-changing night sky is completely enthralling.

This blog is where I will focus on all aspects of learning and imaging the night sky in any and all ways possible.  With my current limited knowledge, equipment, and even more limited budget I can still manage some fairly decent work.  This should be a great starting point for the blog.  As of right now, I have no specific astrophotography equipment, equatorial mounts, super telescopic lenses, etc.  Hopefully I can prove the old saying, "It's not the equipment, it's the photographer".

Current equipment:
Nikon D90
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Nikkor 85mm f1.8
Ravelli tripod with "pistol grip"
intervalometer
Homemade Barn-door Mount (see http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/52)
      -yet to be fully tested, some kinks to be worked out.

I recently joined the Erie County Mobile Observers Group, a great bunch of folks with a plethora of knowledge and eager to share.  I'll frequently be utilizing equipment belonging to members of the group, such as the tracking feature of a Meade RCX 400 mount by simply "piggybacking" my camera on the telescope itself.

I'll explain, in as much detail as I know, my process and results.  This should be quite an adventure.

Here's my best astrophotography images to date in reverse chronological order, Astrophotography.
We'll build from there.

Keep looking up,
Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment